Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grove City in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Borror Family / Borror's Corners

Jackson Township Pioneers

 

—Pioneer Homestead 1809 - 1811 —

 
The Borror Family, Jackson Township Pioneers Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
1. The Borror Family, Jackson Township Pioneers Marker


Inscription.
The Borror Family
Jackson Township Pioneers
In 1809-1811, Magdalene Strader Borror, widow of Revolutionary War veteran Jacob Borror, Jr., moved to this area from Virginia with her seven children (Martin, Jacob, Myomi, Solomon, Christine, Issac, and Absalom). Originally clearing and settling 400 acres of land given to Magdalene by her father, Christopher Strader, the family eventually prospered throughout the entire township. After her death in 1838, Magdalene was buried in nearby Scioto Cemetery, the resting place of more than seventy of her descendants.

Borror's Corners
Pioneer Homestead
1809-1811
This intersection, known as "Borror's Corners," was part of the original Borror homestead in Franklin County. Here, the widow Magdalene Strader Borror and her seven children settled in 1809-1811. As the region prospered, a school, store, and several churches were built to meet the needs of the growing Borror families. Though never incorporated, Borror's Corners was shown on early maps and was a focal point for over 100 years in the area. Most of the residents were farmers, but the community also produced ministers, doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists, and businessmen who continue to influence the life of central Ohio.
 
Erected
Borror's Corners Pioneer Homestead 1809 - 1811 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
2. Borror's Corners Pioneer Homestead 1809 - 1811 Marker
1996 by Borror Reunion Committee and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 49.525′ N, 83° 1.938′ W. Marker is in Grove City, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of London-Groveport Road (Ohio Route 665) and Jackson Pike (Ohio Route 104), on the left when traveling east on London-Groveport Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grove City OH 43123, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lockbourne Veterans' Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal (approx. 3.4 miles away); Historic Lockbourne (approx. 3.6 miles away); Orders Road School / The Orders Family (approx. 4.5 miles away); F-84F "Thunderstreak" (approx. 4.6 miles away); A-7D "Corsair II" (approx. 4.6 miles away); F-100D "Super Sabre" (approx. 4.6 miles away); Captain Eddie Rickenbacker (approx. 5 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker number reads "20-18" in error. Marker # 20-18 is for The Berea Triangle Marker in Berea, Ohio, over 130 miles away.
 
Categories. Notable PersonsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
The Borror Family / Borror's Corners Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
3. The Borror Family / Borror's Corners Marker
Looking west.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,668 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement