Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Grove City in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Orders Road School / The Orders Family

 
 
Orders Road School Marker (side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
1. Orders Road School Marker (side A)
Inscription. Side A:
Orders Road School
Educational standards for rural children did not exist during the early 1800s, but by the 1870s most states had enacted compulsory education laws. In rural areas, township school districts built schools like this one and assessed local citizens for upkeep and teacher's salaries. Teachers passed a county examination for certification. Besides instruction duties, they kept records, cleaned the schoolhouse, and kept it heated during the cold months. In 1879, Allen and Mary Orders deeded one acre of land to the Jackson Township Board of Education to build Schoolhouse No. 10, known locally as Orders Road School. Three generations of Jackson Township students between ages five and sixteen received their primary education here. Following consolidation, the school district deeded this building to the farm's owners in 1928. It was restored in 2000-2002.

Side B:
The Orders Family
The family that farmed this land in the 1800s typified nineteenth century Ohio settlement and emigration patterns. After serving with General Anthony Wayne at Fort Greenville in the mid-1790s, English immigrant Jonas Orders came to central Ohio from Virginia in 1805. Neighbor Sarah Ford nursed him through a frontier illness. They married and established a farm here in 1829.
The Orders Family Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
2. The Orders Family Marker (side B)
Of their ten children, one son, Allen, and his wife Mary Galion Orders farmed here through the mid-1800's, raised seven children, and provided land for the school. Their son Jonas Orders II served in the 113th Ohio regiment during the Civil War and was wounded at Chickamauga. He married Sara Knagi and lived here with their eight children. By the turn of the twentieth century, the family had left the farm.
 
Erected 2001 by The Edna W. Taylor Estate and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 37-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 51.615′ N, 83° 6.219′ W. Marker is near Grove City, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Orders Road 0.4 miles east of Harrisburg Pike (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in the Century Village Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4185 Orders Road, Grove City OH 43123, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grove City Cemetery Association (approx. 1.5 miles away); Mayor Robert E. Evans Clock and Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Grove City Veterans Memorial
Orders Road School / The Orders Family Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
3. Orders Road School / The Orders Family Marker
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Ellen Walker Craig-Jones (approx. 3 miles away); The Borror Family / Borror's Corners (approx. 4.5 miles away); Galloway World War II Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); 166th Infantry Regiment (approx. 5.8 miles away); Camp Chase (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grove City.
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Century Village Historical Park image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
4. Century Village Historical Park
Looking east on Orders Road.
Concord United Methodist Church Bell image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
5. Concord United Methodist Church Bell
In Century Village Historical Park.
Historic Farmstead image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2008
6. Historic Farmstead
In Century Village Historical Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 24, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement