Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Angleton Independent School District

 
 
Angleton Independent School District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 27, 2019
1. Angleton Independent School District Marker
Inscription.  On September 5, 1892, two Angleton residents donated one of the original town blocks near this site to the city for school purposes. Citizens contributed two hundred dollars for a frame building to house the first classes for Angleton students and serve as a meeting house for lectures, programs and services. Enrollment increased quickly, and the community made additions to the structure as needed. In 1897 Angleton was incorporated as a school district. A new brick building erected that year was destroyed in the 1900 storm but was soon replaced.

The people of Angleton took pride in their school system and its support. The city touted its academic program to attract new residents. Citizens continued to demonstrate their dedication to the district by voting to enlarge the district from 12 to 25 square miles and approving the construction of another, larger brick facility after the second brick building was destroyed in a 1909 storm. The new structure was called "Albert Sidney Johnston School" for one of the county's famous former citizens.

The community continued to grow, and within a few years a new high school was erected.
Angleton Independent School District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 27, 2019
2. Angleton Independent School District Marker
In 1931 the school district served eleven grades instead of ten, and in about 1940 the district extended its program to twelve grades. Separate schools for African American and Hispanic students were established until widespread integration was achieved in the 1960s. The town annexed more rural land, resulting in a still-higher enrollment and more crowding in the schools. The Angleton School District continued to grow, and by the end of the twentieth century encompassed 396 square miles.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11961.)
 
Location. 29° 10.047′ N, 95° 25.829′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Chenango Street and East Locust Street, on the right when traveling north on North Chenango Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Brazoria County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert J. Calder (about 700 feet away); "Brit" Bailey Plantation (approx. 5.7 miles away); Munson Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); James Briton "Brit" Bailey (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
5.8 miles away); Homesite of General Albert Sidney Johnston (approx. 10.2 miles away); Albert Sidney Johnston (approx. 10.2 miles away); Brazoria Bridge (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
 
Categories. Education
 

More. Search the internet for Angleton Independent School District.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement