Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gause in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Town of Gause

 
 
The Town of Gause Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. The Town of Gause Marker
Inscription.  William J. Gause (1829-1914), born in Alabama, moved to Texas in 1849, to the Brazos region in 1856, and to this locality in 1872. Buying lumber in Montgomery, he gave his friend Dan Fowler half in return for hauling it here. The two built the first homes in this settlement. In 1873, Gause gave right of way and 100 acres of land to the International & Great Northern Railroad, and the town was platted. Gause Post Office opened in 1874, with James S. Reynolds as postmaster. The I. G. N. freighted out great quantities of cotton, and the town thrived. Cotton gins, stores, blacksmith shops, a lumber yard, a bank, hotels, livery stables, a newspaper and other businesses were established. Besides W. J. Gause, civic leaders included Dr. J. E. Brown, Richard Cox, Dr. James Dollar, Lafayette Ely, Bill Faubian, Dan Fowler, J. C. Lister, C. C. Moore, Dr. John Porter, Frank Thomas, and T. L. Watts. Churches were organized and a Masonic Lodge chartered. The county's first independent school was established in Gause.

Good highways, mechanized farming, and decline of railroading halted commerce in the town of Gause. It survives, however,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
as a residential site chosen by descendants of the pioneers and by commuters to industrial plants and businesses in this vicinity.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7953.)
 
Location. 30° 47.08′ N, 96° 43.341′ W. Marker is in Gause, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on U.S. 190 east of Farm to Market Road 2095, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gause TX 77857, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Town of Nashville (approx. 5 miles away); DAR Centennial Park (approx. 5 miles away); Port Sullivan (approx. 6.4 miles away); Camp Hearne World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 9.3 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 14.6 miles away); Cooks Point (approx. 14.6 miles away); Near Homesite of Judge Andrew S. Broaddus (approx. 14.6 miles away); Elizabeth Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 15 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gause.
 
Also see . . .  Gause, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for The Town of Gause.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 105 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement