Andalusia in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
History of the Library / Andalusia Post Oﬃce becomes Public Library
In 1913 the Study Club of Andalusia was organized to establish a library for Andalusia. Led by founder Miss Ethel Darling the club held a book shower resulting in $5.50 and 15 books which became the embryo of the library. After World War I the club acquired 100 books from soldiers' libraries to place in the Milligan Building and in 1920 they opened the Covington County Free Library in the Masonic Hall with 200 books. The first library board was formed in 1921 with Mrs. Oscar M. Duggar as president. In 1934 Library Board President Mrs. A. C. Darling, Sr., Mayor John G. Scherf, Senator Lister Hill, and club members campaigned to construct a building. The city donated a corner of the grammar school property at Sixth Avenue and College Street. In 1937 the ladies petitioned the Public Works Administration and the government contributed $3000. Construction began in 1938. After 26 years the vision of the Study Club came to fruition. In March 1939 the new home of the Covington County Free Library opened to the public with Mrs. O. M. Duggar as the librarian.
FOUNDERS of the Study
The first library building served Andalusia citizens for twenty-eight years. In 1963 the Andalusia Post Office relocated to a new building. Mrs. D.D. Chapman led a movement to secure the old post office for the public library. Members of the Study Club of Andalusia, Library Board President Mrs. M.S. Hooper and Mrs. Chapman began a letter writing campaign to Senators Lister Hill and John Sparkman, Congressman Bill Dickinson, Governor George Wallace, and federal officials. After two years, the old post office property was transferred to the city. The citizens of Andalusia banded together to make plans for financing and renovation. Mayor Howard Ham, City Councilmen Jimmy Utsey, Reltys Powell, Nat Waller, Manny Russo and City Attorney Albert Rankin selected Architect Douglas Baker and Contractors Reid and Henry Merrill. Funds were secured by the City of Andalusia, the Board of
Erected by the City of Andalusia.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 31° 18.411′ N, 86° 28.982′ W. Marker is in Andalusia, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is at the intersection of South 3 Notch Street and Dunson Street, on the right when traveling south on South 3 Notch Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 South 3 Notch Street, Andalusia AL 36420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place First National Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Old Courthouse Clock Bell (about 600 feet away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (about 800 feet away); Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Covington County War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rodney J. Evans (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andalusia.
Regarding History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library. Andalusia Public Library was founded in 1920 by the Andalusia Study Club and opened in the reception room of the Masonic hall. The nucleus of the library was 100 books donated by various army camps in Alabama. After several years of contributions and with the help of the WPA, a new library was built. Called "one of the loveliest little libraries in the state", the new library opened its doors in 1939. Those doors remained open for the next 28 years. In 1963 it was time to expand. Mrs. D.D Chapman lead a movement to obtain the Andalusia Post office building, which was being replaced with a new post office, for the new public library. The federal government granted the request and the library opened its new doors in 1967. In 1979 the Charles Dixon Memorial meeting room was added to the library thanks to the generosity of Thelma Dixon. A reference room, genealogy room, periodical room and children's library were added soon after.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on February 1, 2019, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.