Port Arthur in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Oil Tanker Service
Port Arthur exported one of the earliest large shipments of oil about April or May, 1901, on the "Atlas," and two other vessels. The cargo was bound for the refineries of Standard Oil Company of Philadelphia to be tested for "illuminating" purposes. Many persons then scoffed at the idea of using oil as a fuel.
One year after Spindletop, Texas commerce, formerly based on cattle and cotton had been vastly changed by petroleum. More than half of all ships entering Sabine Pass and Port Arthur were connected with the oil industry. By April of 1902, shipments had already exceeded the 1,750,000 barrels exported in 1901.
By 1902, steamers were burning Texas oil as fuel and the Guffey Petroleum Company had begun to build Texas' first tanker fleet - five ships.
Today the value to Texas' economy of crude oil alone totals more than three billion dollars yearly.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10548.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Port Arthur Refinery (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Lucas Gusher (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.