Chichester in Merrimack County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
On This Spot Stood the First Congregational Church
Location. 43° 15.13′ N, 71° 23.103′ W. Marker is in Chichester, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 161 Main Street, Chichester NH 03258, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Andrew McClary (approx. 3.3 miles away); On The Interval Below This Spot (approx. 6˝ miles away); Robert Frost in Allenstown / Buck Street Mills (approx. 6˝ miles away); First New Hampshire Turnpike (approx. 6.9 miles away); Shaker Village (approx. 6.9 miles away); Eastman (approx. 7.7 miles away); Site of First Ferry (approx. 7.7 miles away); Pembroke Street / Watering Trough (approx. 7.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is a small bronze plaque affixed to a boulder and is roughly 100 feet east of the Chichester Library. There is an ornamental shrub planted on the left side of the stone. There is also a beautiful granite watering trough nearby.
Regarding On This Spot Stood the First Congregational Church. Here in Chichester, at a
"To see if the town will found and establish a church in this town in order to have an ordained minister who shall go in and out before this people, teaching us the Word of God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ truly." It was also stated in another article that - "August 3, 1791 will be set apart as a Fast Day to seek God's direction." Both were so voted!
The first meeting house was erected in 1793 near the site where the town library is situated - the spot is marked with a plaque.
Reverend Josiah Carpenter was called in September 1791 with a proposed salary of fifty pounds ($250) and this salary supplemented by twenty-five cords of wood and six tons of good English hay! He served the church for thirty-six years.
Over the years the meeting house fell into disrepair and it was voted to build a new building. In 1838 Josiah Carpenter deeded about a half an acre of land to the Union Congregational Society "there upon" to erect a new meeting house.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2019, by Douglas Finney of Concord, New Hampshire, USA. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2019, by Douglas Finney of Concord, New Hampshire, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.