Newark in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1746. Present edifice, built
in 1809, retains original
tower. Became a cathedral
of the Diocese in 1944.
Erected 1964 by State of New Jersey.
Location. 40° 44.423′ N, 74° 10.156′ W. Marker is in Newark, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Rector Street, on the left when traveling south on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark NJ 07104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Passed Beneath this Tower (here, next to this marker); First Constitution of the Province of New Jersey (here, next to this marker); Historic Site (here, next to this marker); Griffith Piano Company (a few steps from this marker); Training Place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Philip Kearny (about 400 feet away); Historic Plane Tree (about 400 feet away); The Wars of America (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.