Fort Brooke-Confederate Battery
Fort Brooke (Tampa)
Established 1824 by Col. George M. Brooke 4th US Infantry, east bank Hillsborough river. Prominent as Army Headquarters Seminole Indian Wars of 1835-42 & 1855-58.
A parapet mounted by three 24-pounders & two 6-pound field pieces located across river (site US Custom House) repulsed landings on three occasions from Fedral gunboats following bombing of Tampa June 30, July 1, 1862-Oct. 16 & Dec. 25, 1863.
Erected 1968 by Hillsborough County Historical Commission.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 27° 56.447′ N, 82° 27.576′ W. Marker was in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker was at the intersection of Bayshore Boulevard and Hyde Park Place, on the right when traveling north on Bayshore Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Tampa FL 33606, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Jose Gasparilla (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bayshore Boulevard (within shouting distance of this marker);
More about this marker. Marker is gone though post and cap remain.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Fort Brooke-Confederate Battery.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.