Leesville in Saluda County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Delmar School was established in 1896 on property obtained from Elijah Wilson & Lula Fulmer Shealy. This property was previously owned by his parents, Mary Ann Gorley & Simeon Richard Shealy. A Confederate soldier who died during the war, Richard had purchased the land from his father, Mathias Shealy, who married first Polly Fulmer and second Barbara Risinger. Mathias is buried in the family plot located .3 mile southwest of this site. The Mt. Hebron Lutheran Church Cemetery, located .1 mile south was also part of this tract. The cemetery was begun in 1901 when Elijah & Lula Shealy buried their child, Wyman, in a cornfield adjacent to the church. Numerous students of Delmar School and many members of the Mt. Hebron Lutheran Church are descendants of Mathias Shealy.
Erected by Grandchildren of Elijah and Lula Shealy.
Location. 34° 1.217′ N, 81° 31.45′ W. Marker is in Leesville, South Carolina, in Saluda County. Marker is on Old Delmar School Road. Touch for map. Marker is located to the left of the school's front entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Leesville SC 29070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Delmar School Hare’s Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hartley House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Lee's Tavern Site (approx. 7.6 miles away); Flat Grove (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lewie Chapel (Old Gilbert Methodist Church) / The Lewie Family (approx. 10.3 miles away); Revolutionary Skirmish Near Juniper Springs (approx. 10.3 miles away); St. Peter Church (approx. 10.8 miles away); Mitchell Hill Advent Christian Chruch (approx. 10.9 miles away); Butler Family Graves (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Regarding Delmar School. The building is the current home of Delmar Nutrition Site.
Categories. • 20th Century • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 26, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.