Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Carlisle in Bonaventure MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Maison Tremblay House / L'eglise Unie Zion United Church

Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 14

 
 
Maison Tremblay House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
1. Maison Tremblay House Marker
Inscription.  

Maison Tremblay House

C'est à partir du milieu du XIXe siècle que le tissu ethnique de New Carlisle commence à se diversifier. Des catholiques, Canadiens francophones ou Irlandais, viennent y travailler, surtout dans des fonctions administratives ou judiciaires. Le juge Ménalque Tremblay est de ce nombre.

Au début des années 1870, Le juge Tremblay se fait construire une maison, rue Main, à l'ouest de l'hôtel de ville, où il habitera jusqu'à sa mort, en 1911. Il légua sa résidence à la Corporation épiscopale de Rimouski, dans le but d'ouvrir une école catholique française. En 1914, la Corporation renonça à ce legs et la maison fut vendue à la Banque Nationale qui en transforma une partie en succursale.

En 1925, cette propriété fut vendue à John Gédéon Dallain et son épouse Corinne Lebel. En 1994, elle est toujours la propriété de la famille des Dallain.

Cette maison comporte des chambranles de fenêtres, très ouvragés, particulièrement au niveau de la corniche.

[Légendes photo, de gauche à droite, lisez]
• Construite vers 1870, elle a été, de 1914 à 1925, le site de la Banque Nationale.

Maison Tremblay House et/and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
2. Maison Tremblay House et/and Marker
Tremblay House across street in background
• Kiosque de jardin de la propriété estivale du juge Tremblay, localisée au petit lac, au nort-est du village de New Carlisle.
——————————————————

Beginning in the middle of the XIX century, the [ethnic] make-up of New Carlisle began to diversity. The French Canadians and Irish Catholics came to work mainly in administrative or judicial fields. Judge Ménalque Tremblay was one of them.

At the beginning of the 1870's, Judge Tremblay built a house on main street, west of the town hall[, w]here he lived until his death in 1911. He bequeathed this house to the diocese of Rimouski to be used as a French Catholic school. In 1914 the diocese relinquished the legacy and the house was sold to the National Bank.

The bank used part of the house for a branch until it was sold in 1925 to John Gedeon Dallain and his wife Corinne LeBel. In 1994, it still belongs to the Dallain family.

The house has carved window frames, particularly at the level of the cornice.

[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
• Built around 1870, it housed the [National Bank] from 1914 until 1925.

• Gazebo at summer property of Judge Tremblay, located on [a] small lake, north-east [of the] village of New Carlisle.

——————————————————————————

L'eglise
L'eglise Unie Zion United Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
3. L'eglise Unie Zion United Church Marker
Unie Zion United Church

Leur histoire ancestrale est vite racontée
Mais qui prétendra que c'est futile?
À la hache, à la scie, au rabot,
Ils bâtiment maison pour louer Son Nom
Et prêter l'oreille aux mots qu'll enseigna.
Leslie R. Ramier (traduction)

Cette église lambrissée de bois est typique d'une architecture vernaculaire. Sans plan préalable, elle fut construite vers 1820. On la doit à dix-sept familles de pionniers qui avaient fait la promesse de bâtir une église presbytérienne. La plus ancienne pierre tombale est datée de 1823, elle a été érigée à la mémoire de Sarah Caldwell.

L'église et le cimetière sont de confession presbytérienne jusqu'en 1925. Cette année-là, à la suite d'un vote majoritaire pancanadien, l'Église prebytérienne se joint aux religions méthodiste et congrégationnelle. L'Église Unie du Canada naît de cette union. La communauté de New Carlisle prend le nom de Zion United Church.

Cet événement provoqua une scission à New Carlisle, 51 adultes et leurs 32 enfants décidèrent de ne pas se joindre à l'Église Unie et de demeurer presbytériens.

Le 11 septembre 1960, l'Honorable Lester Pearson, leader de l'opposition, qui devait devenir plus tard Premier ministre du Canada, pria avec la congrégation de New Carlisle. Il lut certains textes choisis pour la célébration.

[Légendes

L'eglise Unie Zion United Church et/and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
4. L'eglise Unie Zion United Church et/and Marker
photo, de haut en bas, lisez]
• La première église presbytérienne et son premier presbytére.

• Église presbytérienne 1900

——————————————————
Their story old, is quickly told,
Yet, who shall say for naught?
As with axe, and saw and plane
They builded a house to praise His name,
And hear the worlds He taught
Leslie R. Ramier

Seventeen pioneer families signed a pledge to build a Presbyterian Church. Their building of wainscot wood is a perfect example of vernacular architecture, built around 1820 with no plans - following the evolution of the taste and needs of the time. In 1900 an extension was added to the church. The oldest tombstone in the cemetery was erected to the memory of Sarah Caldwell in 1823.

This church and cemetery belonged to the people of the Presbyterian faith until 1925. At that time, a vote was taken throughout Canada to amalgamate the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches. Therefore, the congregation became on June 10th, 1925, a pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada known as Zion United Church. In New Carlisle, fifty-one adults and their thirty-two children rejected the new agreement and decided to keep their Presbyterian faith.

On

L'eglise Unie Zion United Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
5. L'eglise Unie Zion United Church
[S]eptember 11th, 1960, the Honorable Lester B. Pearson, leader of the Opposition and future Prime Minister of Canada, worshipped in the Zion United Church and read one of the lessons.

[Photo captions, from top to bottom, read]
• The First Presbyterian Church and manse

• Presbyterian Church 1900
 
Location. 48° 0.572′ N, 65° 19.746′ W. Marker is in New Carlisle, Quebec, in Bonaventure MRC. Marker is at the intersection of boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) and rue Réne-Lévesque, on the left when traveling east on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139 boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque, New Carlisle, Quebec G0C 1Z0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Loyalist / Les Loyalistes (within shouting distance of this marker); La naissance de New Carlisle / Parc municipal (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (about 150 meters away); Légion Royale Canadienne / Palais de Justice (about 150 meters away); L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); L'education - New Carlisle High School (approx. 0.6 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. New Carlisle Heritage Walking Tour. (Submitted on February 20, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. New Carlisle Heritage Walking Tour Map. (Submitted on February 20, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 20, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.