Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Matthew Catholic Parish
In 1925, Rev. Smith became the first resident pastor and the first church rectory and Parish Hall was built in 1926. Father Smith contributed much to the parish, including organizing the first 4th of July picnic and founding the group, Children of Mary. Under Father Benz’s leadership, a second parish hall was built in 1934, and a Catholic school opened in September 1937, but was forced to close in 1940. In May 1961, under Father Lieb’s direction, a new church was built utilizing the original cast
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16964.)
Location. 28° 55.279′ N, 98° 32.88′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Zanderson Avenue (State Highway 16) and Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west on Zanderson Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1608 Campbell Avenue, Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Atascosa County Jail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martin Abstract Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atascosa County (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away); Jourdan Campbell (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for St. Matthew Catholic Parish.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.