Woodville in Wilkinson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Beth Israel Synagague
In 1876, the Woodville Hebrew Education Association constructed a small frame synagogue on this site that later became the Beth Israel Congregation. Emanuel Rosenfelder served as the first rabbi. After a fire in 1896, the synagogue was reconstructed in a similar style. With the congregation dwindling after economic declines in the mid-1920s, the synagogue was sold and later moved to Main Street and used as a theatre. The building burned in the 1930s.
Erected 2016 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 6.185′ N, 91° 18.082′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Mississippi, in Wilkinson County. Marker is at the intersection of Bank Street and South Natchez Street, on the left when traveling west on Bank Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodville MS 39669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rabbi's Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Christian Church Parsonage Branch Banking House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodville Blues (about 500 feet away); Lewis Family Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Wilkinson County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Wilkinson County War Memorial (about 800 feet away); Woodville Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodville.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2019.