Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of the Western Penitentiary
Where August 5, 1863 to March 18, 1864, were incarcerated 118 officers of General John H. Morgan's cavalry, C.S.A. the only Confederate prisoners of war held in Pittsburgh who had surrendered near Lisbon, Ohio, July 26, 1863.
Erected 1931 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Pittsburgh Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Location. 40° 27.189′ N, 80° 0.59′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Touch for map. Located in the Eagle enclosure at the National Aviary, North Side, Pittsburgh (mounted on shallow stone mount on the ground).
Must pay admission to National Aviary to view marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Arch Street, Pittsburgh PA 15212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. USS Maine Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Allegheny High School (about 500 feet away); Saint Peter Roman Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Allegheny County Soldier's Monument Allegheny Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Allegheny Market House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Hay Reed (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Also see . . . National Aviary. (Submitted on February 24, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.