Bandera in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Great Western Cattle Trail
Bandera served as an ideal staging and departure point because of its plentiful water and grass for cattle. The cattle market fulfilled the Northeast's high demand for beef, created cattle companies, enterprises and towns along its path and helped revitalize Texas' post-Civil War economy. Between 1855 and
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17843.)
Location. 29° 43.545′ N, 99° 4.352′ W. Marker is in Bandera, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 173/16) and Hackberry Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Western Trail Heritage Park. Marker is in this post office area: Bandera TX 78003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World" (here, next to this marker); Bandera, Texas USA (here, next to this marker); Camp Montel C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (within shouting distance of Bandera County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mormon Settlers in Bandera County (about 300 feet away); Old Texas Ranger Trail (about 400 feet away); Captain Jack Phillips (about 400 feet away); Bandera Historic Town Center (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bandera.
Also see . . . Great Western Trail - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.