Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
William B. DeWees
After Columbus was burned in Texas Revolution, 1836, he laid out new (present) town and gave land for courthouse and school.
His correspondence, published 1852 as "Letters from an Early Settler of Texas to a Friend," provided valuable eyewitness accounts of the "Runaway Scrape" of the revolution, and life in colonial Texas.
Erected 1971 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1193.)
Location. 29° 42.251′ N, 96° 32.514′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Bowie Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1324 Bowie Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris House (a few steps from this marker); Dilue Rose Harris Abram Alley Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the American Declaration of Independence (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Columbus (about 500 feet away); Townsend-West House (about 600 feet away); Old Stafford Opera House (about 600 feet away); Site of Railway Hospital (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . DeWees, William Bluford - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 27, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.