Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Leon & H. Blum Building

1879

 
 
Leon & H. Blum Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 14, 2018
1. Leon & H. Blum Building Marker
Inscription.  Leon & H. Blum, "Importers of and Wholesale Dealers in Staple and Fancy Dry Goods, Hats, Boots and Shoes, Notions, etc.", was founded by Alexander and Leon Blum in 1858 under the firm name of A. Blum & Bro. In 1865 the firm was reorganized and the name changed to Leon and H. Blum with partners Leon, Hyman and Sylvain Blum.

Under the leadership of Leon Blum, known far and wide as the "Merchant Prince of Texas," the firm prospered and in its most successful years did a business of $5,000,000 per annum serving Texas, Mexico, and the Territories with offices in Galveston, New York, and Paris, France.

In the disastrous fire of June 9, 1877, the Leon & H. Blum four story establishment on the northeast corner of 22nd and Strand burned down. In 1879, this imposing building on Mechanic Street, designed by architect Eugene Heiner for Leon & H. Blum, was erected as their new place of business. The original building was 120 feet square at the corner of 24th and Mechanic. Additions to the east in 1882 and 1884 gave it its present dimensions, as pictured here.

It is a three story building stuccoed and scored to resemble stone, with
Leon & H. Blum Building Marker<br>(<i>tall view</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 14, 2018
2. Leon & H. Blum Building Marker
(tall view)
ornamental facings, cornice and trimmings as well as a first floor arcade. In the composite style it is a fine example of late 19th century commercial architecture.

In 1882 the Leon & H. Blum Land Company was incorporated with Leon Blum as president; Sylvain Blum, vice president; and A. Ferrier, secretary and treasurer, with offices in this building. The company had land for sale in 150 counties in Texas. On March 26, 1896, Leon and H. Blum, wholesalers, filed for bankruptcy and went out of business. The business was then sold to Mistrot Bros. & Co., also a wholesale dry goods firm, which occupied the building from 1896 to 1917.

The building was sold in 1923 to The Galveston Tribune, an afternoon daily newspaper. The Tribune was published here until 1926 when the paper and property were sold to the News Publishing Co., publishers of The Galveston Daily News.

In 1981 George and Cynthia Mitchell purchased the building from the Revolving Fund of the Galveston Historical Foundation. In 1985 they completed restoration and renovation of the building as the elegant Tremont House and opened with a gala Mardi Gras celebration. The mansard roof was added to allow a fourth floor for the hotel and to recapture the roof configuration depicted in early engravings.

The Tremont House is beautifully done in the tradition of the old
Leon & H. Blum Building / The Tremont House Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 14, 2018
3. Leon & H. Blum Building / The Tremont House Hotel
This marker visible in front of building, near bottom left of image.
Tremont Houses. These formerly stood on Tremont Street at Postoffice and Church Streets, and were the epitome of fine hotels and famous for their distinctive appointments and excellent cuisine.
 
Location. 29° 18.367′ N, 94° 47.699′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Mechanic Street east of 24th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2300 Mechanic Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mardi Gras in Galveston (here, next to this marker); Davidson Building (a few steps from this marker); Powell Arch (a few steps from this marker); Leon & H. Blum Co. Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Berlocher Row (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tremont Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarke & Courts Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Merchants Mutual Insurance Company Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
 
More about this marker. This marker is a large laser-printed metal plaque mounted on a five-foot tall post.
 
Regarding Leon & H. Blum Building. Contributing property, Strand National Historic District #70000748 (1970)
 
Also see . . .
1. Leon & H. Blum Building. The Leon & H. Blum Building, built in 1879,
Galveston 1900 Storm Survivor Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 14, 2018
4. Galveston 1900 Storm Survivor Plaque
Mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the left of the front entrance on Mechanic Street.
occupied 90,000 square feet in the Strand historical district of Galveston; it had two hydraulic elevators, offices finished with cypress, and light entering the building unobstructed on three sides. In 1984 the neo-Renaissance-style Blum Building was restored by Houston preservationists Cynthia and George Mitchell. (Submitted on February 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. 1900 Storm Survivor Plaque Program. On September 8, 1900, the most devastating recorded natural disaster in U.S. history struck Galveston Island, claiming 6,000 to 8,000 lives and destroying thousands of buildings. The plaques represent a testament to the resilience of our built history, and the community of people to which it still serves. (Submitted on February 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

3. Strand National Historic District Nomination #70000748. This is a contributing property, Strand National Historic District. (Submitted on February 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
National Register of Historic Places plaque image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 14, 2018
5. National Register of Historic Places plaque
Mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the left of the front entrance on Mechanic Street.
Leon & H. Blum
Building

2300 Ship's Mechanic Row
Built in 1879
Listed in the
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
 
More. Search the internet for Leon & H. Blum Building.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 28, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.