Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel

 
 
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 24, 2008
1. Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station Marker
Inscription.
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station
The only remaining Columbus railroad station, The Toledo & Ohio Central (T&OC) Railroad Station was constructed in 1895 and was the departure point for William McKinley when he left for Washington D.C to be sworn in as president. Designed by noted Columbus architects Joseph Warren Yost & Frank L. Packard, the pagoda style roof and tower have become Columbus icons. By 1900, the T&OC was purchased by the rival Hocking Valley Railroad and in 1911 the tracks were elevated above Broad Street. Later the New York Central Railroad gained control and used the station until 1930 when passenger service was transferred to Union Station in Columbus. Restored after the 1913 Flood and major fires in 1910 and 1975, the station was headquarters for the Central Ohio Volunteers of American from 1930 to 2003. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Macklin Hotel
The Macklin Hotel was constructed prior to 1895 and predates the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad Station. It was located adjacent to the station and had three towers and a pagoda style roof matching the depot. The Macklin Hotel was located at 387 W. Broad St. in front of the crystal ice plant which supplied ice to the railroads prior to refrigeration. After the
Macklin Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 24, 2008
2. Macklin Hotel Marker
hotel closed, the building was used for several restaurants and cafes until its demolition in 1955.
 
Erected 2007 by The Oscar L. Thomas, Jr. Family, The Columbus Historical Society, The Franklinton Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 106-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 57.65′ N, 83° 0.637′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Broad Street (U.S. 40) and Starling Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 379 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Celebration of Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scioto River Historical Marker (approx. mile away); Central High School (approx. mile away); Broad Street Bridge (approx. mile away); Franklinton (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Franklinton (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars
 
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 29, 2010
3. Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel Marker
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station (East Facade) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 24, 2008
4. Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station (East Facade)
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station Pagoda Tower image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 24, 2008
5. Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station Pagoda Tower
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,770 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   4, 5. submitted on October 27, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement