LeDroit Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“Lift Every Voice”
—Georgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail —
Griffith Stadium occupied this block until it was razed in 1965. (Howard University Hospital opened here ten years later.) During the 1940s, Griffith crowds cheered batting superstar Josh Gibson of the Homestead Grays, the Negro League team that won more games than any other hometown team. Here ace pitcher Walter Johnson led the all-White Washington Senators to their only World Series victory in 1924. While Griffith was one of DC’s few public venues open to all during segregation, the races sat separately.
Griffith also hosted the Washington Redskins (1937-1961), student cadet competitions, Boy Scout jamborees, National Negro Opera Company performances, and mass baptisms conducted by Elder Lightfoot Solomon Michaux, whose
In 1946 impresario David Rosenberg hired prominent African American architect Albert Cassell to design a music hall at 815 V Street. Soon after, Duke Ellington lent his name to a nightclub there. By 1952 WUST Radio occupied the facility, hosting evangelical broadcasts, jazz, and later, reggae and go-go concerts. After WUST moved to Virginia, the 9:30 Club relocated there from 930 F Street.
Homestead Grays power hitter Josh Gibson at bat. Library of Congress.
Walter Johnson photographed in 1924, the year the Senators won it all. Library of Congress
High School Cadets participated in separate competitive drills at Griffith Stadium, 1940s. White cadets march [above], and a company from the “Colored” schools stands in formation [at left]. The Washington Post * Scurlock Studio Records, Archives Center, National Museum of American History.
Elder Solomon Michaux’s Church of God, 1949, across from Griffith Stadium. Upper right, a baptism begins at Griffith Stadium. Upper left, Elder Michaux welcomes diners in his Happy News Café, 1727 7th St., 1937.
Library of Congress * Scurlock Studio
WUST Radio DJ Steady Eddie was a Howard University senior and member of the Howard Players, 1952. The WUST building, far left, became the "9:30 Club" in 1996.
The Washington Post * Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, Howard University.
Erected 2011 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Avenue / Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 55.046′ N, 77° 1.309′ W. Marker is in LeDroit Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) south of V Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Griffith Stadium Site (here, next to this marker); Armed Resistance (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dunbar Theater/Southern Aid Society (about 600 feet away); The Howard Theatre Walk of Fame (about 700 feet away); Howard Theatre (about 700 feet away); Scurlock Studio Site (about 700 feet Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington (about 700 feet away); Freedmen's Hospital (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LeDroit Park.
Also see . . . Homestead Grays. ... During the late 1930s through the 1940s the Grays played their home games at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates. However, during this same period the club adopted the Washington, D.C. area as its "home away from home" and scheduled many of its "home" games at Washington's Griffith Stadium, the home park of the Washington Senators. (Submitted on January 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,262 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on March 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on June 28, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.