Southwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Linking the “Island” to the City
River Farms to Urban Towers
—Southwest Heritage Trail —
In the early 1800s, Washingtonians walked or rode in carriages and wagons or astride horses. Later they traveled in horse-drawn wagons known as public omnibuses. By the Civil War, however, the city was booming, overwhelmed with soldiers, civilians, and supplies that needed to be moved around. In 1862 Congress chartered the first street railway - rail cars pulled by horses on steel tracks. Given the strategic importance of Southwest's wharves, one of the first three lines ran from Boundary Street (now Florida Avenue, NW)
The electric trolleys of the late 1880s came next, but they were replaced with buses in 1962. That year most car barns became unnecessary. O. Roy Chalk, who owned D.C. Transit (which became Metrobus in 1973), tore down his car barns to build the apartment houses Riverside Condominium and Channel Square.
(Photo Captions from upper right to lower left):
Cars of the Metropolitan Street Railway spent the night at this Romanesque style car barn that once stood behind your right.
On a quiet Sunday in 1951, tidy townhouses stretched ahead of you on a tree-lined Fourth Street.
When this photo was taken on Maryland Avenue in 1890, horse-drawn streetcars were rapidly disappearing. This 1880 map shows the city's horse-drawn street railways, including the line that ran through Southwest on Seventh and Fourth Streets passing this spot.
D.C. Transit streetcars parked next to the car barn, 1961.
The Downtowner minibus cars ran from F Street, NW to Southwest's Waterside Mall, 1976.
The Chalk House apartments (now Riverside Condominium) are near completion in the foreground of this 1965 view.
From 1800 until 1950, Southwest was Washington's largest working-class, waterfront neighborhood. The beginning in 1954, nearly all of Southwest was razed to create an entirely new city in the
River Farms to Urban Towers: Southwest Heritage Trail, a booklet capturing the trail's highlights, is available at local businesses along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Southwest Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 52.384′ N, 77° 1.046′ W. Marker is in Southwest, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street Southwest and O Street Southwest, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street Southwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 395 O Street Southwest, Washington DC 20024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harbour Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheat Row (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military Education at Fort McNair (about 400 feet away); Lewis House (about 600 feet away); Barney House (about 600 feet away); Blending Old and New (about 600 feet away); Housing Reform and the Syphax School (about 700 feet away); Titanic Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southwest.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on March 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.