Southwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Blending Old and New
River Farms to Urban Towers
—Southwest Heritage Trail —
The elegant 1794-1795 set of four Federal style houses behind you across Fourth Street is Wheat Row, created by James Greenleaf, Washington's first real estate speculator. Greenleaf and his partners hoped to get rich building housing for the new city. Instead Greanleaf went bankrupt, but left behind a few well-made houses. These were named for John Wheat, an early owner who worked as a Senate messenger. Across Fourth to your left at 456 N Street is Lewis House, built in 1817 for a Navy Department clerk. A few houses down at 468-470 is Duncanson-Cranch House, built around 1794.
In 1901 Charles Weller opened Neighborhood House in Lewis House as Washington's first social settlement. There, in keeping with Washington's segregation, he provided education and recreation
(Upper Right Photo Caption):
The Lewis House, far left, at 456 N Street, was Barney Neighborhood House's first home, until moved to Duncanson-Cranch House at 468-470, left. After urban renewal, both houses became part of Harbour Square along with Wheat Row, 1315-1321 Fourth Street, above.
(Center Right Photo Caption):
Artist Garnet Jex photographed the Duncanson-Cranch House in 1963 as construction was underway for Harbour Square cooperatives.
(Lower Right Photo Captions):
Barney Neighborhood House brochure of 1908, above. Adult classes included vegetable carving, 1942.
(Lower Left Photo Caption):
Beloved World War II correspondent Ernie Pyle, center, once lived in a Lewis House apartment.
River Farms to Urban Towers: Southwest Heritage Trail, a booklet capturing the trail's highlights, is available at local businesses along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
(Back Photo Caption):
Neighbors line Forth Street for a May Day celebration mounted by Barney Neighborhood House, around 1940. At left is the Marine Band. At center is the "May Day Procession of Clubs" led by Boy Scouts with the May Day Queen and attendants close behind.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Southwest Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 52.487′ N, 77° 1.047′ W. Marker is in Southwest, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street Southwest and N Street Southwest, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street Southwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheat Row (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barney House (about 400 feet away); Harbour Square (about 400 feet away); Recreation and River Park (about 500 feet away); Linking the "Island" to the City (about 600 feet away); Change on the Waterfront (about 600 feet away); Thomas Law (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southwest.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,036 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on March 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.