American University Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
To the Rescue
Top of the Town
—Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
As people turned to hospitals for nursing care, the sisters explored expanding their convent for on-site care, but lacked the necessary resources. So they sold their building to the Embassy of France. The French International School held classes here in the late 1960s, followed by the all-girls Oakcrest School. In 2010 the Yuma Study Center planned to occupy the old convent, a city Historic Landmark since 2004.
Hidden from view to your right is Dunblane, one of the last remaining estate houses in Tenleytown. The Greek Revival style country retreat was built in the early 1800s. When fox hunting grew fashionable later that century, the
Ahead on your left is St. Ann’s Church, a Tenleytown institution dating back to 1866. This building, dedicated in 1948 as the church’s third on this site, is a fine example of the magnificent urban Roman Catholic parish churches built between 1900 and the Great Depression of the 1930s.
(Marker reverse, same on all markers in this series)
Tenelytown’s story begins with Native American footpaths that crossed at the highest natural elevation in what became Washington, DC. European settlers broadened the paths into roads, and in the late 1700s the enterprising John Tennally opened a tavern at the intersection of today’s Wisconsin Avenue and River Road. Soon a community known as Tennallytown surrounded the tavern. Until the early 1880s Tennallytown remained a village amid rural Washington County, where about a dozen tightly knit and often inter-married families dominated daily life. Then modern transportation made Tenleytown easily accessible to downtown and pushed it into the 20th century.
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail shows you where, during the
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail is an Official Washington, DC Walking Trail. The self-guided tour of 19 signs, just under three miles, offers about two hours of gentle exercise.
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail, a free booklet capturing the trail’s highlights, is available in both English and Spanish language editions at local businesses and institutions along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, please visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail is produced by Linda Donavan Harper, Alisha Bell, Laura Brower, Mara Cherkasky, Sarah Fairbrother, Helen Gineris, Elizabeth Goldberg, Carmen Harris, Pamela Jafari, Jane Freundel Levey, Akilah Luke, Yillah Rosenfeld, Leon Seemann, Frank Stewart, and Pat Wheeler of Cultural Tourism DC in collaboration with the District Department of Transportation, the Washington Convention and Sports Authority, the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Tenleytown Neighbors
Thank you also to ANCs 3E and 3F, Jim Anderson, Jean Bathurst, Brian Bowers, Yvonne Carignan, Jane Charter, Dustin Davis, John and Linda Derrick, James Embrey, Kathleen Franz, Pamela Gardner, Matt Glassman, Nicole Goldman, Mark Greek, Ashley Hair, Jeannette Harper, Ron Harvey, Faye Haskins, Mary Herbert, Judith Helm, Bill Jarrett, Joel Kemelhor, Maryanne Ball Kendall, Brian Kraft, Susan and Greg Lewis, Camille Martone, Lisa McCarty, Susan McElrath, Alison McWilliams, Eda Offutt, Elvi Moore, Anne Manoukian Page, Eddy Palanzo,
Photo of Fort Reno Park water towers (1928) on each sign appears courtesy, The Washington Post.
(Marker shows a copyright dated 2010.) Design by Karol A. Keane Design, Map by Bowring Cartographic.
Erected 2010 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tenleytown Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 56.773′ N, 77° 4.843′ W. Marker is in American University Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Yuma Street Northwest east of 42nd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. On the Circle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beer, Popcorn, and Penny Candy (about 700 feet away); A Spirit of Community (about 700 feet away); The Rest (approx. 0.2 miles away); For the Children (approx. ¼ mile away); A Country Road (approx. ¼ mile away); In Touch with the World (approx. ¼ mile away); The National Presbyterian Church World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in American University Park.
More about this marker. There are a number of photographs on the marker. Clockwise from upper right the captions read;
♦ “Home nursing from Sisters Stephanie and Mary of Incarnation, 1954, far left”, ♦ “and Sister Aloysious Barrett, left, 1940.”
♦ “Sister Cornelius Cremin, who learned lacemaking in Ireland, made this cap around 1940.”
♦ “The original modest St. Ann’s Church and hall, seen in the 1920s.” ♦ “The current church is seen under construction around 1947 at left.“
♦ “Gathering the hounds for the Dunblane Hunt, around 1900, above.” ♦ “A few years later, Chevy Chase Hunt members meet at the same spot.”
♦ The large photograph on the reverse (common face) of the marker is captioned, “The sisters of the Convent of Bon Secours, 1961.”
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,202 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on March 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5. submitted on December 4, 2013, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.