Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Free blacks Levi and Sarah Ann Jones were among the first African Americans to own land in what is now Nauck. Landowners prior to the Civil War, they built their home in 1844. The local community grew as the Jones family sold property to other black families.
In 1874, John D. Nauck, Jr., of Washington, DC, bought 46 acres of land in south of Arlington and began subdividing it. The community was originally known as Green Valley, named for the Green Valley Mansion which overlooked the current site of the Army Navy Country Club.
Location. 38° 50.891′ N, 77° 5.053′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on Shirlington Road south of 24th Street South, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Green Valley Pharmacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Drew School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lomax AME Zion Church (about 600 feet away); Macedonia Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Washington and Old Dominion Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tracks Into History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nauck: A Neighborhood History (approx. 0.3 miles away); This is W&OD Trail: Shirlington! (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.