Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Dr. Roland Herman Bruner
In the mid-1920s, Bruner left Burkittsville to attend Storer College in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. After completing a two-yer junior-college program, he continued his education at Howard University, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1928. At the time, options for prospective African-American medical students were limited, with only Meharry Medical College and Howard University training the majority of black doctors. In 1932, Dr. Bruner graduated from Howard University College of Medicine. He was one of 24 students distinguished with an internship in Freedmen's Hospital, in Washington, D.C. Freedmen's Hospital played a critical role in providing specialty training since few white hospitals admitted black interns and a limited number of black hospitals trained post-graduates. He joined the staff of Freedmen's Hospital
In 1934, Dr. Bruner opened a private practice in his newly built brick home on South Glebe Road in the Nauck neighborhood of Arlington. He filled a desparate local need for African-American physicians since few were practicing within the County. He offered general medical services to the community, but specialized in obstetrics. He was instrumental in establishing a Planned Parenthood clinic for Arlington's Department of Human Resources, and in assisting African-American women in acquiring birth control and contraceptives. In addition, Dr. Bruner often made house calls to deliver babies. In 1938, he was the only African-American doctor employed by Arlington County's Health Department in the prenatal clinics. Since African-Americans were not allowed to utilize the Clarendon Health Center, Dr. Bruner held prenatal clinics in "special clinic rooms" located at the former Arlington Court House.
Dr. Bruner's notable professional achievements were only a small part of his legacy. He was an unassuming and selfless family man who committed himself to serving others regardless of financial gain. During the Great Depression and World War II, he bartered with patients and declined payment from those who could not afford medical services. He continued to serve the Nauck community until a week before his death on May 9, 1978. Dr. Bruner's legacy is continued by his daughter, Dr. Denise Ellen Bruner, a graduate of Howard University College of Medicine, who also opened a practice in Arlington.
In 2001, Arlington Housing Corporation (AHC) purchased Dr. Bruner's home and its land from his family. The original house remains and is now part of the Bruner Place development that includes seven contemporary townhouses.
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
Location. 38° 51.129′ N, 77° 5.172′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on South Glebe Road (Virginia Route 120) south of 20th Street South, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2012 South Glebe Road, Arlington VA 22204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Zion Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Berry (approx. ¼ mile away); Drew School (approx. ¼ mile away); Origins (approx. 0.3 miles away); Green Valley Pharmacy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lomax AME Zion Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Barnard (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Science & Medicine • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.