Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old St. Anthony Hotel
Changed owners several times through the years. General Sam Houston once stayed here while campaigning against secession.
Renamed St. Anthony Hotel 1914 by new owner Mrs. A. A. Hacker, who did extensive remodeling. Served as a transfer station for train passengers and as a bus terminal. Her hotel was noted for more than 30 years for its hospitality and annual Christmas Day open house and egg nog party.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8385.)
Location. 30° 10.075′ N, 96° 23.768′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 105) and North Market Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 East Main Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bassett and Bassett Banking House (within shouting Washington County, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (about 600 feet away); The Brenham Maifest (about 700 feet away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (about 700 feet away); Schmid Bros. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brenham Normal and Industrial College (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.