Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Automobile Club Headquarters
Erected 1971 by City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 72.)
Location. 34° 1.677′ N, 118° 16.61′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker can be reached from Figueroa Street south of Adams Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located inside the building’s central courtyard. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2601 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles CA 90007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Public Service (approx. half a mile away); Information Please: The USC Libraries (approx. half a mile away); Founders’ Fountain (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Trojan Column (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Changing Campus (approx. 0.6 miles away); An International University (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Founding of USC (approx. 0.6 miles away); Student Musical Traditions (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
Regarding Automobile Club Headquarters. The Automobile Club of Southern California is the Southern California affiliate
Starting around 1910, the Auto Club sent teams of cartographers to survey the state's roads for the production of maps, and to create a uniform system of road signs. The Auto Club posted thousands of porcelain-on-steel traffic signs throughout the state and continued to do so until the State of California took over the task in the mid-1950s.
This building was completed in 1923. Designed by architects Sumner P. Hunt and Silas R. Burns, the building now serves as a Los Angeles branch office. The club's administrative offices have relocated to Costa Mesa.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 12, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.