Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War
the Memory of
Franklin County Soldiers
of the Mexican War
1846 - 1848
On this day, October 2, 1954, this tablet is placed in memory of those soldiers from Franklin County, Ohio who served their country with great courage and devotion during the Mexican War 1846-1848.
In this grove, now Schiller Park, on July 27, 1848, a grateful people assembled to express their profound appreciation to their brave sons who gave so much in their devotion to duty. May their heroic deeds inspire all men of future generations who are called upon to serve and protect their country.
Erected 1954 by Franklin County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 56.476′ N, 82° 59.519′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Touch for map. Marker is near southern border of Schiller Park, between the Recreation Center and Deshler Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gold Star Mothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schiller Park Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 (approx. ¼ mile away); Merion Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Mary Church (approx. half a mile away); Trinity Lutheran Seminary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Heroes • Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,338 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.