First Baptist Church of Richardson
William Huffhines, a charter member of the church was an early Dallas County pioneer, donated two acres of land for a sanctuary. Also located on the land was Mt. Calvary cemetery. A frame sanctuary was built in 1868 and the congregation continued to meet there until 1885, when they voted to move five miles north to the new town of Richardson. Philemon W. and Mary Huffhines gave land at the corner of Greenville Avenue and Phillips Street for a sanctuary, which was completed in February 1886. After it was destroyed in a storm in 1909, a new brick structure was completed on the same site in 1910. The brick building was replaced in 1953, and one year later the congregation voted to change its name to First Baptist Church of Richardson.
Over the years, First Baptist Church has served the community with a variety of outreach programs. This site was acquired in 1976, and a new sanctuary was dedicated in February
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 57.76′ N, 96° 43.629′ W. Marker is in Richardson, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Richardson Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 N Central Expy, Richardson, TX 75080, Richardson TX 75080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blewett Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); McKamy Spring (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hamilton Park Community (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); First Christian Church of Plano (approx. 4.2 miles away); Texas Electric Railway Station (approx. 4.2 miles away); McCree Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away); Frankford (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richardson.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 14, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.