Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

University of Delaware

A Brief History

 

—The Green Campus Buildings —

 
University of Delaware Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
1. University of Delaware Marker
Inscription.  The University of Delaware traces its origins to a school founded by the Rev. Francis Alison in 1743, which later became the Academy of Newark. In 1833, the state of Delaware chartered its first institute of higher education, called Newark College, in Newark, which was closely tied to the academy. Later known as Delaware College, it—with a coordinate Women's College founded in 1914—became the University of Delaware in 1921. Old College Hall, the college's first building standing across Main Street to the north, was built by 1834. In 1915, thanks to generous support from two prominent Delawareans, P.S. du Pont and H. Rodney Sharp, the college's trustees acquired land south of Main Street and planned the portion of The Green that you see before you. Buildings were designed in the Georgian style popular in colonial Delaware, and the first on the Green—Wolf Hall and Harter Hall—were completed by 1917. The central focal point is Memorial Hall, originally the University Library, which was built in 1924 as a memorial to Delawareans who died in the First World War.

(Captions:)
1. Harter Hall 1916
2. Sharp
University of Delaware Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
2. University of Delaware Marker
Hall 1952
3. Wolf Hall 1917
4. DuPont Hall 1957/2002 Addition
5. Evans Hall 1917
6. Brown Laboratory 1928
7. Memorial Hall 1924
8. Hullihen Hall 1938
9. Mitchell Hall 1929
10. Gore Hall 1998
11. Sharp Laboratory 1961
12. Sypherd Hall 1957
13. Brown Hall 1941

 
Erected by University of Delaware.
 
Location. 39° 40.797′ N, 75° 45.127′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green south of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870-1954) (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944) (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (within shouting distance of this marker); George Gillespie Evans (1815-1904) (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Chiles Mitchell (1864-1948) (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert W. Gore, B.ChE., 1959 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Categories. ArchitectureEducationWomen
 
More. Search the internet for University of Delaware.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.