Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Soldiers’ Park

 
 
Old Soldiers' Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
1. Old Soldiers' Park Marker
Inscription. Early in the 1890s, Civil War Union veterans claimed a small corner of Brandywine Park as a place to congregate in good weather. The familiar sight of the old soldiers sitting regularly in that area led people to call the spot "Old Soldiers' Park." In 1919, the elderly men, no longer able to look after the park, turned responsibility for care over to the city's Board of Park Commissioners.

(Captions, counterclockwise from bottom left:)
In 1908, a group of the veterans formed the Old Soldiers' Park Association and, with Board of Park Commissioners approval, erected a flagpole that they dedicated on Flag Day, 1908. Around 1913-14, local citizens embellished the park with military equipment—cannon, cannon balls, and a tripod of rifles at the foot of the flagpole. Credit: Delaware State Parks, Cultural Resource Unit.

Each of Delaware's regiments had its own "regimental colors," consisting of a U.S. national flag and often another flag, usually of silk, bearing the unit's name and identifying a symbol. The flag of the 1st Delaware Volunteer Infantry, pictured here, featured the Delaware State Seal. Credit Delaware Public Archives.

Military emblems—The shield-shaped badge belonged to a soldier named J. Hanna who was a member of the 3rd Delaware Volunteers, Company I.

The
Old Soldiers' Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
2. Old Soldiers' Park Marker
brass breastplate was originally on the leather sling of a cartridge box belonging to Captain William Laws Cannon, Company B, 1st Delaware Cavalry. It shows an eagle clutching the arrows of war in one claw and the olive branch of peace in the other.

Credit: Courtesy of the Delaware Historical Society.

 
Erected by Wilmington Rotary Club, Delaware State Parks, Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.
 
Location. 39° 44.981′ N, 75° 32.675′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of East 15th Street and North Market Street, on the right when traveling west on East 15th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1402 North Market Street, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. H. Fletcher Brown: The Man and the Vocational School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brandywine Village (about 600 feet away); Joseph Tatnall House (about 700 feet away); Looking Back... (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Looking Back... (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); McKinley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clifford Brown (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Categories. Parks & Recreational AreasWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.