Rocky Ford in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First County Seat
Among these first settlers were, Benjamin Lanier, Lemuel Lanier, Valentine Hollingsworth, Francis Jones, Thomas Mills, Anthony Bonnell, Abraham Mincey, Robert Dickson and Michael Dickson.
The first county seat of Screven County was established here on Dec. 14, 1793, and the home of Benjamin Lanier, across Mile Branch from this marker, was the first Court House.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 40.138′ N, 81° 49.468′ W. Marker is in Rocky Ford, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Scarboro Highway (State Highway 17) and Rocky Ford Road, on the left when traveling north on Scarboro Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Ford GA 30455, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scarboro (approx. 4.3 miles away); 1790 Union Meeting House Louisville Road (approx. 8.8 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 8.8 miles away); Cooperville (approx. 8.8 miles away); Union Meeting House (approx. 10.4 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 10.4 miles away); a different marker also named Old Savannah Road (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Also see . . . The New Georgia Encyclopedia entry for Screven County. Rocky Ford was designated as the first county seat in 1793 but was replaced by Jacksonborough in 1797. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,231 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.