Millen in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Millen was apparently named for McPherson B. Millen, railroad superintendent, Savannah. Dec. 3, 1864, the old inn, the railroad buildings and the Confederate army warehouse here burned by the armies of Gen. Sherman [USA]. After the war the town was rebuilt & in 1881 was incorporated.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 082-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 48.127′ N, 81° 56.453′ W. Marker is in Millen, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Cotton Ave and N .Gray St, on the right when traveling east on W. Cotton Ave. Touch for map. At Railroad Depot in Millen. Marker is in this post office area: Millen GA 30442, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the Millen Junction (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wayside Home (about 600 feet away); Millen Fountain (about 700 feet away); Jenkins Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millen Flagpole (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jenkins County Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Wayside Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sherman at Millen (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millen.
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia. Millen lies on the Ogeechee River in Jenkins County, approximately fifty miles south of Augusta. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,092 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.