Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Centuries of History
The original portions of the house were built circa 1747 by Richard Blackburn, a carpenter from Ripon, England. By the time of his death 10 years later, he had acquired numerous land holdings throughout Prince William County.
His son Thomas Blackburn, a Revolutionary War veteran and local politician, inherited the house in 1757 and made the first major additions in 1800.
The present house is the work of Wade Ellis, who directed major additions in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The home is a mixture of original 18th century features and 20th-century Colonial Revival architecture. Prince William County purchased the property in 2000 and began extensive restorations.
Erected by Prince William County Department of Public Works, Historic Preservation Division.
Location. 38° 36.932′ N, 77° 16.702′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15520 Blackburn Road, Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Landscape (a few steps from this marker); Latrobe's View (within shouting distance of this marker); Neabsco Creek (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Burying Ground (about 600 feet away); Stones, but No Bones (about 700 feet away); Rippon Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collo. Richard Blackburn (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Potomac Path (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.