College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The University of Maryland Is Deeply Rooted in History”
City of College Park
—Anacostia Trails Heritage Area —
In 1856, a group of Maryland planters secured a charter for the Maryland Agricultural College, which would evolve into the University of Maryland, College Park. Two years later, the trustees selected 428 acres of Charles Benedict Calvert’s plantation as the site, and the college issued stock to raise funds. Among the 34 students who enrolled in 1859 were the four sons of Charles Benedict Calvert.
In addition to spending one hour each day hoeing or plowing on the college farm, students took a broad range of courses in ancient and modern languages, natural sciences, English and mathematics.
The early years were marked by false starts, including mounting debts and temporary closure. To raise funds, the trustees sold off 200 acres of the original campus. In the ensuing early years, a series of state laws gave the college many powers—control of farm disease, state weather bureau, state geological survey, inspection
The college became known as the University of Maryland in 1920, after the College Park campus and the professional schools in Baltimore were linked. In 1988, the Maryland General Assembly combined the five University campuses with the six Board of Trustee institutions into a University of Maryland System and named the University of Maryland, College Park as the flagship of the new system.
Captions on four photos from Special Collections, University of Maryland Archives:
On November 29, 1912, a fire begun at a Thanksgiving Dance destroys every dormitory, half of the classrooms and offices and most of the college records. Miraculously, there were no injuries or deaths.
Pyon Su, c. 1888. The first Korean to earn a degree at a U.S. college, Pyon Su was killed by a train shortly after graduating from Maryland Agricultural College. He is buried in nearby Beltsville.
The main entrance to the University of Maryland, circa 1930, seems modest compared to today’s brick-arched entry, befitting a nationally acclaimed
In 1887, the Hatch Act created federally funded agricultural experiment stations; the trustees offered the college farm and Rossborough Inn for that purpose.
Erected 2008 by Prince George.
Location. 38° 58.921′ N, 76° 56.288′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) and Regents Drive when traveling south on Baltimore Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "From Stagecoach to Streetcar to Subway: A College Town Emerges" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Graham Cracker (about 800 feet away); Class of 2002 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Quad Renovation (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Maryland Memorial Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); “On the Shoulders of Giants” (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rossborough Inn (approx. ¼ mile away); Calvert Hall (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Also see . . .
1. ATHA - Route One. (Submitted on July 25, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Univ. of MD, College Park During the Civil War (Submitted on September 9, 2011, by Steven Berkowitz of Annnandale, Virginia.)
3. Wikipedia entry for University of Maryland, College Park. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. Wikipedia entry for Charles Benedict Calvert. founder of the Maryland Agricultural College. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Education • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,446 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on October 30, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.