Hudson Falls in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Kenyon Lumber Company was originally built along the Feeder Canal at Lock 12 in 1852. At its peak the mill employed over 100 employees and once sawed over one million feet of lumber in less than 15 days. At that time, six days a week a raft of ¼ mile long of logs was cut at the Kenyon Wood lot in the Adirondacks and floated from the feeder dam along the feeder Canal to the mill. Even the byproduct of sawdust from Kenyon’s was sold and shipped to ice houses on the Hudson River and on to Woolbridge, N.J.
In 1926, Griffin Lumber, located on Pearl Street by Lock 13 in Hudson Falls, bought out Kenyon Lumber. The plant was dismantled and moved across the street and the original Kenyon site was used for storage.
The idea for Kenyon Lumber came about when two businessmen, George F. Underwoood and John P. Cloonan, saw the need for a sawmill with modern improvements and equipment to cut the best quality lumber with the least possible waste.
Erected by Feeder Canal Alliance/ New York State Canal Corporation.
Location. 43° Touch for map. Marker is on the footpath beside the canal about 150 yards south of Pearl Street. Marker is in this post office area: Hudson Falls NY 12839, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coal Silos (approx. 0.3 miles away); Martindale Boat Basin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Military Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sandy Hill (approx. 0.7 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Washington County Civil War Monument (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hudson Falls.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 160 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.