Wooster in Wayne County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Harvey Howard House / Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Harvey Howard House. Harvey Howard, a local druggist, built the house at 407 North Market Street around 1860. After many owners, Captain James B. Taylor bought the home in 1893. Taylor commanded Company H of the 120th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. He studied law after the war and moved his practice to Wooster in 1882. Taylor’s wife Emelie died in 1905 and in 1906 Taylor sold the property to become Wooster’s first city hospital. Many of the town’s noted physicians practiced here and the facility was eventually enlarged to accommodate 30 beds. The house was a hospital until 1943, when Central Christian Church purchased it. The church used the building for education programs and restored much of its décor, including four fireplaces, inlaid floors, and bronze door hardware.
Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Twenty-one congregants chartered the Wooster Church of Christ in July 26, 1835. The church’s first pastor was J.H. Jones, who was called to the pulpit in 1845. The congregation built its first sanctuary in 1847 at the corner of Walnut and South Streets. The congregation built and moved into
Erected 2010 by Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-85.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 48.124′ N, 81° 56.451′ W. Marker is in Wooster, Ohio, in Wayne County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wooster OH 44691, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wayne County Soldier’s Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Twenty Pounder Parrott Guns (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Reasin Beall Homestead / Wayne County Historical Society (approx. half a mile away); To the Heroes (approx. one mile away); Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station (approx. 1½ miles away); Barnhart Rice Homestead / Frederick Rice (approx. 1.7 miles away); Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill (approx. 6.3 miles away); Sonnenberg Settlement 1819 (approx. 11 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wooster.
Also see . . . Wooster Hospital, circa 1907. “While (Submitted on April 9, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 9, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.