Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
From Glory to Glory
All Saints Historic District
All Saints School was founded in 1884 by Bishop William Hobart Hare as an Episcopalian boarding school for daughters of missionary clergy men and other young women in Dakota Territory. In memory of his late wife and in tribute to all women, he chose the school motto "From Glory to Glory" which was inscribed in the polished Sioux Quartzite cornerstone.
When Bishop Hare selected Sioux Falls as the site for the proposed school, the community responded by raising $10,000 in money and land to establish it. This included a five acre tract on a hill at the south edge of town that was donated by Artemus Gale, a prominent local realtor. Other gifts of money came from women in the east, including $300 from the wife of John Jacob Astor, owner of the American Fur Trading Company. The original school building with its distinctive Venetian Gothic architecture was designed by Wallace L. Dow. It included the chapel, which was later embellished with stained glass Tiffany windows, as well as classrooms and living quarters for teachers, students, and Bishop Hare.
Although the school opened in 1885 with 14 boys and girls in all grades,
Girls in middy blouse and skirt or sweater and skirt uniforms were a familiar sight to Sioux Falls School grounds, skated on the ice rink, or walked two - by - two to Calvary Cathedral on Sundays. Eventually a gym enabled the girls to participate in basketball and volley ball. Field Day in which classes competed with each other in athletic events was held yearly on Bishop Hare's birthday. The May Fete on the lawn, with a May Queen and a Maypole Dance in which all students participated, were also memorable occasions.
Bishop Hare believed that girls should be offered the same education available to boys, so laboratory science was a part of the standard elementary and secondary curriculum. Music, art and foreign language study were also available to All Saints students.
After World War II, good high schools were available to most South Dakota girls and the boarding school became too expensive to operate. In 1951, All Saints converted to a private elementary and nursery school. By 1986,
Erected 1997 by Minnehaha County and South Dakota Sate Historical Societies and in Memory of Bishop Conrad H. Gesner by his loving wife Claudia.
Location. 43° 32.244′ N, 96° 43.698′ W. Marker is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is at the intersection of W 17th Street and S Main Avenue on W 17th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 608 S Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls SD 57104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lost Bird (within shouting distance of this marker); The Government Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First School House 1873 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pillars of the Nation (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lady Liberty (approx. half a mile away); Lt. Jonas Lien (approx. half a mile away); Helen Gale McKennan (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
Also see . . . All Saints School. (Submitted on April 10, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.