New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Chinese Presbyterian Church
New York City Designated Landmark
The architectural significance of this church, built in 1817 on land donated by Colonel Henry Rutgers, a Revolutionary War patriot, is its introduction, at an early date, of Gothic design as seen in its pointed-arch windows and doorways. First owned by the Dutch Reformed Church and later the Presbyterian Church, this building was known for years as the Sea and Land Church because it served local seamen. In 1951, it was shared by the First Chinese Presbyterian Church and recently, the New York Presbytery donated the building to this congregation as a memorial to the Christian dedication of the Chinese community.
Plaque provided by the New York Community Trust, 1974
Erected 1974 by New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 42.793′ N, 73° 59.677′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Market Street near Henry Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 61 Henry Street, New York NY 10002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Eldridge Street Synagogue (about 600 feet away, measured Barnum's First Big Bamboozle (approx. 0.2 miles away); High and Low Art (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Modern Tattooing! (approx. 0.2 miles away); NYC’s Oldest Brick House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gateway to Old Chinatown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kimlau Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lost New York Gem (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Categories. • Asian Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 11, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.