Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa María del Río in Municipality of Santa María del Río, San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
 

Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río

 
 
Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 16, 2019
1. Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río Marker
Inscription.  

La Erección de los Conventos de Santa María del Río
El libro “IV Centenario de la Fundación de Santa María del Río”, editado en 1943, narra la historia de los conventos tal y como los historiadores de la época lo hicieron. El Franciscano José Arlegui en sus “Crónicas de la Provincia de N.S.P.S. Francisco de Zacatecas” publicadas en 1734, relató, sobre el origen de los conventos en San Luis Potosí, que “el convento de Santa María del Río, dista doce leguas de San Luis Potosí, y tuvo su erección en el sitio que hoy se llama S. Diego de Atotonilco, dos leguas delante de la estancia de D. José Villela, en el año de 1589”.

El pueblo estaba comprendido de alrededor de quinientas familias repartidas en dos barrios, divididos por medio del convento. Los otomíes eran los menos obedientes al culto y los religiosos lucharon por “quitarles la embriaguez, enfermedad de que adolecen todos los días”. En 1737 Arlegui asistió a las ceremonias del juramento que se hizo a la Virgen de Guadalupe, al proclamarla Patrona y Abogada de las enfermedades y epidemias.

Por su parte,
Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 16, 2019
2. Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río Marker
The marker can be seen to the right of the entrance to a large meeting room seen here to the left of the Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption (Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción). Further to the right is the "Santísimo Chapel" marker.
Fr. Martín de Urrízar de la Orden de los Frailes Menores de N.S.P.S. Francisco, Lector Jubilado, en cumplimiento del mandato real de 1688, en el que se ordenaba una relación jurada del número de religiosos de los conventos Franciscanos, su erección, sufundación, etc, relata: “El Convento de Santa María del Río, consta de cuatro religiosos: no tiene legado alguno de misas, la erección de dicho Convento fue el año de mil seiscientos y cuatro: es sólo pueblo de indios.”

English:
Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río
In the book “IV Centenarian of the Founding of Santa María del Río”, edited in 1943, the history of the convents is narrated, just as the historians of those days did it. Franciscan Monk José Arlegui in his “Crónicas de la Provincia de N.S.P.S. Francisco de Zacatecas”, published in 1734, narrated, about the origin of the convents in San Luis Potosí, that “the Santa María del Río Convent is 12 leagues from San Luis Potosí, and was erected on the site known today as S. Diego de Atotonilco, 2 leagues ahead of the ranch of D. José Villela, in 1589.”

The town was made up of around 500 families spread out in 2 barrios, divided by the convent. The Otomíes were the least obedient in worshiping and the religious order struggled to “stop them from drinking, a sickness they suffer from every day”. In 1737, Father Arlegui attended the solemn oath ceremonies made to the Virgin of Guadalupe, proclaiming her the Patron and Defender in sickness and epidemics.

For his part, Father Martín de Urrízar from the Order of the Frailes Menores (Lower Monks) de N.S.P.S Francisco, Retired Lector, in compliance with the 1688 Royal Mandate, that ordered a statement of the number of religious orders in the Franciscans Convents, its construction, foundation, etc., expresses: “The Convent of Santa María del Río, has four religious orders: there is no legacy of mass at all; this Convent was built in the year 1604: it is only a town of Indians.”
 
Location. 21° 48.035′ N, 100° 44.139′ W. Marker is in Santa María del Río, San Luis Potosí, in Municipality of Santa María del Río. Marker is on Calle Pascual M. Hernández Segura just west of Niños Héroes del 47, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa María del Río, San Luis Potosí 79560, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santísimo Chapel (here, next to this marker); Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption (within shouting distance of this marker); Dividing Line Between Otomíes and Guachichiles (within shouting distance of this marker); Hidalgo Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Franciscan Convent (within shouting distance of this marker); Martín Bautista Square (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Primo Feliciano Velázquez Rodríguez (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa María del Río.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made FeaturesNative Americans
 
More. Search the internet for Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.