Erie in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the 1920s, a small rustic building known as the Police Barracks, served as the "State Park Police" headquarters. In 1935, the building was moved to the sawmill area and a new wooden structure was built here in its place.
The use of this building has changed from law enforcement and administration to first aid and education, but the adjacent Barracks Beach serves as a reminder of its original use.
Built in the 1920s
A small shack served as the law enforcement hub of the park.
From 1935 to 1962
A wood structure functioned as a police barracks and administration building.
From 1982 to 1990
This building took on a new role. It became the park's first nature center. In 1994, the newly renovated building was dedicated as the Stull Interpretive Center to commemorate the conservation works of Jean and Jim Stull.
Erected by Pennsylvania Department of Conservation & Natural Resources.
Location. 42° 7.516′ N, 80° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Peninsula Drive, Erie PA 16505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Walk in the Park (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leo's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Giant Gondola Wheel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Presque Isle (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Bell Tower and Carillon (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Pump House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Expanding Erie (approx. 1.8 miles away); A Century of Recreation (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Erie.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.