New Orleans in New Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
granted to him on March 27, 1719
by the company of the Indies,
stood the residence of
Jean Baptiste LeMoyne de Bienville,
founder of New Orleans.
This plantation was sold by Bienville
on April 11, 1726 to the Jesuit Fathers
from whom it was confiscated in 1763.
Erected 1962 by The Department of Commerce and Industry.
Location. 29° 57.063′ N, 90° 4.045′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in New Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Common Street and Magazine Street, on the right when traveling east on Common Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the north wall of The Pelham Hotel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Magazine Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 114 Magazine Street (a few steps from this marker); United States Customhouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Street Historic District (about 400 feet away); Bank’s Arcade Whitney National Bank (about 600 feet away); Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the St. Charles Theaters (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Birthplace of “Dixie” (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.