San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Military Headquarters
Established as administrative offices for U.S. Army during the Mexican War, 1846-1847.
At this site on Feb. 16, 1861, Gen. David E. Twiggs surrendered $1,600,000 in Federal property to forces of Confederate Texas.
For a year headquarters for Texas Military Affairs, which were later administered from Houston, Bonham and Shreveport.
Site is part of complex of San Antonio military tradition that extends from early Spanish day, to the Alamo, to 20th Century.
Erected 1965 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 12649.)
Location. 29° 25.595′ N, 98° 29.462′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of East Houston Street and North St. Mary's Street, on the right when traveling west on East Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 East Houston Street, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Majestic Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Saint Mary's Old St. Mary's College (about 400 feet away); Houston Street (about 400 feet away); Travis Park United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Twohig House (about 500 feet away); Travis Street Crossing (about 500 feet away); St. Mary's Institute (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Old Military Headquarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.