San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Saint Mary's
In 1852 land at this site was purchased from the heirs of Ambrocio Rodriguez, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. In 1855 Bishop Odin authorized a building project, undertaken by the Rev. J.M. DuBuis, who became first pastor of St. Mary's Parish and later second Bishop of Galveston. A stately Gothic church building was constructed and opened for worship in mid-1857, serving both English and German-speaking congregations. (In 1869 St. Joseph's Church assumed the ministry for the German Catholics.) On July 1, 1884, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate accepted responsibility for St. Mary's, with the Rev. Richard J. Maloney as first oblate pastor.
The old church building was also the site of a seminary, an early free parochial school, the publication of a major Catholic newspaper, and the founding of the St. Vincent de Paul Society.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15600.)
Location. 29° 25.541′ N, 98° 29.475′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of North St. Mary's Street and College Street, on the left when traveling south on North St. Mary's Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 North St Mary's Street, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twohig House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Mary's College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Institute (about 300 feet away); Majestic Theatre (about 300 feet away); Old Military Headquarters (about 300 feet away); Twin Cypress Mexican Sniper Tree (about 400 feet away); San Antonio's River Walk and Flood Control System (about 400 feet away); Houston Street (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Site of Old Saint Mary's.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.