Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Cuero
In 1886 the church building was erected on this site. Electric lights replaced earlier gas lighting in the early 1900s, while the church was heated with coal stoves. In 1929 under the pastorate of the Rev. J. W. Black, the entire building was raised. A basement was built underneath to provide a space for Sunday School rooms. At the same time towers were added at the corners and a pipe organ was purchased. Church services were held in the DeWitt County Courthouse during the remodeling. By 1958 deterioration of roof trusses and structural supports had created safety hazards. The building was not used for several months until it was repaired.
In later years, memorials and gifts have provided the congregation with new carpet, pew cushions,
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1886.)
Location. 29° 5.462′ N, 97° 17.294′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of East Courthouse Street and North Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east on East Courthouse Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Clinton Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Michael's Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Norman Smith (about 300 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Cuero (about 300 feet away); De Witt County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (about 400 feet away); General August C. Buchel (about 500 feet away); Brayton Flying Field (about 700 feet away); Cuero Land and Immigration Company (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for First United Methodist Church of Cuero.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.