Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Evolution of Gettysburg's “Common School”
Following 23 years of classes being held in multiple private dwellings, the first consolidated public school building was erected on E. High Street in 1857, and began a 100-year tenure of classroom service.
During the battle, the school building served as a hospital while its bell shared the cupola with a fugitive Union soldier who successfully hid from the occupying Confederate forces.
In the mid 1880s the public school curriculum was expanded to include a secondary education program. Over a span of thirty years, The Meade School (1897), the Lincoln School (1926) were erected to accommodate Gettysburg's rapidly growing population of students.
When the present Area School format replaced the county's local school systems, the Gettysburg Area High School was added to this site in 1962 and the Baltimore Street School building was remodeled as the Area Junior High School.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg.
Location. 39° 49.517′ N, 77° 13.854′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore Street - An Historic Corridor (here, next to this marker); "if anyone showed himself..." (here, next to this marker); ...Lincoln passed by... (within shouting distance of this marker); Witness Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Stronghold (within shouting distance of this marker); Communications Through Music (within shouting distance of this marker); Unity Through Music (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Rufus Benjamin Weaver (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. Photos in the center and right of the marker depict The Evolution of Gettysburg's "Common School". Pictured are The High Street School (1858), the first school building; The Meade School (1897), Buford and Springs Sts the first High School; The Lincoln School (1909) the second High School; The Baltimore Street School (1926) the third High School.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,226 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.