Elkridge in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to Rockburn Branch Park
Clover Hill Farm House
A portion of the South Area of the park is to be dedicated to interpreting the historical contributions of founding families of the country. Various historic structures are going to be moved or re-created on site surrounding the existing Clover Hill Farm House. This house was constructed prior to 1798. Is 5 bays wide and 2 bays deep, 2-½ story gable-roofed structure of brick and frame construction. George Scott who was a tanner, miller, and tradesman built the house. The craftsmanship of the house shows signs of wealth, uncommon for a farm family of the time. The Department acquired the house in 1990. The Clover Hill restaurant conversion and curatorship was initiated in 2002 and is still under construction. Anticipated completion date is unknown at this time.
In addition, several historic log cabins and barns will be relocated to this site. These include the Gorman Cabin, the Aaron Mackenzie Barn and the Pfeiffer School House.
The Gorman Cabin was donated by the Janet Phelps family and was moved to the site in 1984. It is a circa 1800 log cabin that
The Aaron MacKenzie Barn is a late 1860's log livestock barn that is approximately 25 feet wide by 20 feet long. It was a gift to the Department by Mrs. Jean O. Hannan of Ellicott City and developer Bernard Talle in 1986. It was moved to the site in 1987 and is in the process of re-construction.
The Pfeiffer Corner Schoolhouse is one of the few remaining one or two room schoolhouses in Howard County. It is a wooden one and one half story gabled building that measures 40' 4" x 22'2". The building dates from the last half of the nineteenth century, possibly as early as the 1860's. After it ceased to be used as a school, it was modified as a private residence. The outhouse is a separate wooden structure, typical of the period. The building was moved in 1988 from its original location at Pfeiffer's Corner in eastern Howard County to the Middle Patuxent Environmental Area. The schoolhouse was then relocated to Rockburn Branch Park in 2003. In addition to the construction of the park, the lands were surveyed for archaeological significance. Several American Indian arrowheads were located.
Erected by Howard County Recreation & Parks.
Location. 39° 13.043′ N, 76° 46.082′ W. Marker is in Elkridge, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker can be reached from Rockburn Path west of Clover Path, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkridge MD 21075, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Roadsend Gardens (approx. 1.7 miles away); Adam the First (was approx. 1.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Destructive Power of the Patapsco (approx. 1.9 miles away); Besley Demonstration Campsite (approx. 1.9 miles away); Orange Grove: A Small Neighborly Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); Back to Nature in the Patapsco Valley (approx. 1.9 miles away); Patapsco Superlative: (approx. 2 miles away); Building America's First Railroad (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkridge.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Parks & Recreational Areas • Patriots & Patriotism •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to Rockburn Branch Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.