Moore in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast
On Dec. 18, 1933, work began on the J.L. Berry Gully, 1.5 miles S.E. as part of the South Tyger River Erosion Control Demonstration Project by the USDI Soil Erosion Service, Dr. T.S. Bule, Project Director. This project was a forerunner of the USDA Soil Conservation Service and the Soil and Water Conservation Districts.
Erected 1974 by South Carolina Association of Conservation Districts. (Marker Number 42-6.)
Location. 34° 51.967′ N, 82° 3.135′ W. Marker is in Moore, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker is on State Highway 417 near Bethany Church Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moore SC 29369, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nazareth Frame House (approx. 2½ miles away); Nazareth Church Stone Marker (approx. 2½ miles away); Nazareth Church (approx. 2½ miles away); Reidville Male Academy (approx. 3.2 miles away); Reidville Public School (approx. 3½ miles away); Site of Fredonia (approx. 4.6 miles away); “Kate Barry” (approx. 5.1 miles away); Walnut Grove Plantation (approx. 5.1 miles away); Camp Wadsworth (approx. 5.1 miles away); John B. White Sr., Blvd. (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moore.
Also see . . .
1. Spartanburg Soil & Water Conservation District History. On this page are before and after photos of the gully. “Equipped only with hand tools (shovels and axes) and limited technical knowledge, 75 relief workers brought the problem under control by diverting the water away from the gully, sloping and planting the banks of the gully with grass, trees and shrubs, and building log dams across the main channel. The project was a success and the methods used at the Berry Gully project were used throughout the Piedmont and influenced gully control work all over the United States.” (Submitted on August 6, 2008.)
2. Hugh Hammond Bennett and the Creation of the Soil Erosion Service. The Soil Conservation Service (SCS) was created in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) by an act of Congress on April 27, 1935. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Natural Resources Conservation Service. The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), formerly known as the Soil Conservation Service (SCS), is an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture that provides technical assistance to private land owners and managers. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Anecdotes for the Road. 1992 New York Times article about historic roadside signs, including the one for First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Environment • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on November 5, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photo 1. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.