Millwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1997 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number B-23.)
Location. 39° 1.06′ N, 77° 57.916′ W. Marker is in Millwood, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is on John Mosby Highway (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millwood VA 22646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Signal Station (was here, next to this marker but has been reported missing. ); Clark County / Fauquier County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jackson’s Bivouac (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mt. Carmel Fight (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mount Bleak Farm (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fight at Berry's Ferry Vinyard Fight (approx. 3.5 miles away); Lee Moves North Again (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millwood.
Regarding Ashby’s Gap. In addition to the Ashby’s Taverns listed on the marker, there is another tavern which used the same name further south at Manassas Gap.
Also see . . . Picture of the Signal Station marker. (Submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Old B-23
This marker replaces a previous B-23 standing in the near vicinity (before the road was enlarged) with the title “Ashby’s Tavern” and the text, “The old house to the north was Ashby’s Tavern. As early as 1753, Thomas Watts had a license to keep a tavern here. He was succeeded by the Ashbys. In October, 1781, British prisoners from Yorktown rested here on their way to Winchester.”
— Submitted July 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,133 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.