Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Villa de Reyes in Municipality of Villa de Reyes, San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
 

Saint Francis of Assisi Parish

 
 
Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
1. Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Marker
Inscription.  

Parroquia de San Francisco de Asís
”Parroquia del Valle de San Francisco”
Se sabe que desde el año 1600 se llevaron a cabo bautismos en el lugar, habiendo quien atendiera las primeras necesidades de culto que se presentaban al asentamiento de esa época.

En 1606 se comenzó la construcción de lo que sería la iglesia del pueblo, que para ese tiempo era conocida como la Ermita. Treinta años después, en 1636, se levantó la parroquia que sustituyó el inmueble anterior. Actualmente en el lugar donde estuvo la primera ermita se encuentra la oficina parroquial.

En 1735 el sacerdote Potosino Antonio Domingo Maldonado Zapata, juez eclesiástico y párroco del lugar - además de sacristán mayor de su Majestad - inició la construcción de un tercer templo desde los cimientos, obra que fue ejecutada por el maestro José Lorenzo de los Ángeles, renombrado arquitecto indio nativo del Barrio de San Sebastián de la ciudad de San Luis Potosí y que participó en la planeación de la construcción del Templo e Iglesia del Carmen de la misma ciudad.

Uno de los principales benefactores de la obra fue José
Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Marker English text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
2. Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Marker English text
de Erreparaz, español que al legar a San Luis Potosí se dedicó a la ganadería y llegó a tener una considerable cantidad de bienes materiales, como dos minas y varias haciendas. Asimismo era propietario de la más importante casa comercial de la ciudad.

La Parroquia del Valle de San Francisco se pudo realizar también gracias al ecónomo de la Mitra de Morelia, Canónigo Marcos Muñoz Sanabria, personaje connotado nativo de este pueblo. Esta parroquia ha sido administrada por diferentes congregaciones religiosas: Franciscanos, Jesuitas, Mercedarios, así como por sacerdotes diocesanos.

En 1736, mientras estaba en construcción, la iglesia fue consagrada a la Asunción de María, y erigida en parroquia por el obispado de Michoacán. El retablo del altar mayor está consagrado a esta devoción, que se celebra el 15 de agosto. La obra se terminó en 1750.

Se sabe que hubo un incendio en el templo y que del nicho del lado izquierdo se rescató parte de la Cruz del Calvario que se encuentra actualmente en el altar, habiéndose perdido el retablo original de madera. En tiempos del Obispo Ezequiel Perea Sánchez se remodeló el atrio.

La evangelización de este territorio comenzó después de que dos capitanes de Hernán Cortés llegaran, en diferentes momentos a la zona. El primer evangelizador Agustino fue el español Guillermo de Santa María, conocido como Francisco Asalto,
Saint Francis of Assisi Parish and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
3. Saint Francis of Assisi Parish and Marker
quien llegó a San Felipe (hoy San Felipe Torres Mochas), desde donde dirigió esta labor e hizo otras aportaciones importantes, como el trazo de las calles de Valle de San Francisco.

El primer párroco de la Orden Franciscana fue Gerardo de Gerall. Por ser originario de Valle de San Francisco, el entonces Padre Provincial de dicha Orden, Fray Mariano Arias, propiciaba que las reuniones periódicas de los religiosos - llamadas Capítulos – se llevaran a cabo en San Luis Potosí.

Hubieron varios sacerdotes connotados que destacaron en la parroquia, como el Sr. Cura Juan Eduardo Garcia, Sacerdote Jesuita originario de Michoacán, en tiempos de la expulsión de esta orden.

Posterior a la consumación de la Independencia, en 1821, se reconoce el José Sixto Verduzco, cuya firma aparece en un documento relevante de la época.

Otra figura importante fue el Sr. Cura Pbro. Ignacio Tomás Carranco, descendiente de Raymundo Carranco, quien inició la construcción del Santuario de Guadalupe de este lugar.

English:
Saint Francis of Assisi Parish
“San Francisco Valley Parish”
It is known that baptisms took place on this site since 1600, and there was someone to serve the first worship needs in this settlement at the time.

The construction of the first church in town began in 1606, which at the time was called
An interior view of the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
4. An interior view of the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish
the ‘Hermitage’. Thirty years afterwards, in 1636, a parish to replace this building was built. Nowadays the parochial office is located where the former hermitage was.

In 1735, Antonio Domingo Maldonado Zapata, a priest from San Luis Potosí who was a Clergy Judge and local parish priest - in addition to Senior Sexton of His Majesty - started the construction of a completely new third temple. The works were directed by José Lorenzo de los Ángeles, a renowned indian native architect from Barrio Saint Sebastian in the city of San Luis Potosí, who had been involved with the construction planning of the Church of El Carmen in the same city.

One of the main donors for these works was José de Erreparaz, a Spaniard who upon arrival in San Luis Potosí dedicated himself to cattle ranching and became a very wealthy man with two mines and several haciendas, among other properties. In addition, he owned the most important store in town.

The Parish of Valle de San Francisco was also erected thanks to Marcos Muñoz Sanabria, the Economist of the Morelia Mithra and Priest, a well-known native figure of this town. This parish has been managed by different religious orders: Franciscans, Jesuits, Mercedarians as well as Diocesan priests.

While under construction in 1763, the church was consecrated to Mary's Assumption and appointed a parish by the Bishop of Michoacán.
The Saint Francis of Assisi Parish altar image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
5. The Saint Francis of Assisi Parish altar
The main altarpiece is dedicated to said devotion, which is celebrated on August 15th. The works ended in 1750.

There was a fire in the temple and the Calvary Cross, which is in the current altar, was rescued from the left-hand niche, though the original wooden altar was lost. The atrium was remodeled in the times of Bishop Ezequiel Perea Sánchez.

Evangelization of this land was begun by Augustinian friars, after two of Hernán Cortés’ Captains arrived. The first Augustinian evangelizer was the Spaniard Guillermo de Santa María, better known as Francisco Asalto, who arrived at San Felipe (named San Felipe Torres Mochas today) and used it as headquarters for his work. He made other contributions such as drafting the street layout for Valle de San Francisco.

The first parish priest from the Franciscan order was Gerardo de Gerall. Since the then Provincial Father of this order, Fr. Mariano Arias, was born in Valle de San Francisco, he promoted that the regular religious meetings - called Chapters - should take place in San Luis Potosí. There were many outstanding and well-known priest in this parish. Among them was Juan Eduardo Garcia, a Jesuit born in Michoacán, in the times when Jesuits were expelled.

After the Independence war ended in 1821, the worth of Pr. José Sixto Verduzco was acknowledged since his signature appears in a relevant document.
Another marker on the exterior of the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
6. Another marker on the exterior of the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish
This additional marker notes the 150th anniversary of the Archdiocese of San Luis Potosí in 2004.


Another important figure was Pr. Ignacio Tomás Carranco, a descendant from Raymundo Carranco, who started the Guadalupe Sanctuary construction in this place.
 
Location. 21° 48.233′ N, 100° 55.9′ W. Marker is in Villa de Reyes, San Luis Potosí, in Municipality of Villa de Reyes. Marker can be reached from Principal just south of Ruiz, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Villa de Reyes, San Luis Potosí 79500, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Centenary of the Land Restitution Decree (a few steps from this marker); The Viceregal Powers in Villa de Reyes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fortress (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Tourism Office (approx. 20.1 kilometers away); Foundation of Santa María del Río (approx. 20.1 kilometers away); City Hall (approx. 20.1 kilometers away); Purísima Chapel (approx. 20.1 kilometers away); Otomíes and Guachichiles (approx. 20.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Villa de Reyes.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
The interior dome of the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
7. The interior dome of the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish
An additional marker on the 1981 remodeling of the atrium of Saint Francis of Assisi Parish image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 18, 2019
8. An additional marker on the 1981 remodeling of the atrium of Saint Francis of Assisi Parish
 

More. Search the internet for Saint Francis of Assisi Parish.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 6, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement