Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Chatham Artillery
To honor the members of the
Servants of God, Country,
State and Community
Soldiers in War
Patriots in Peace
On the east side is inscribed:
Chatham History 1786-1886
Organized May 1, 1786. Captain Edward Lloyd, former Sergeant Major at battle of Savannah was first commander. First duty in June 1786, was funeral honors for General Nathanael Greene.
Participated in Oconee wars 1789-1793. In 1792 George Washington, in appreciation for services rendered presented 2 cannon, one captured at Yorktown and one given by France. They are located on Bay Street east of City Hall.
Captain Josiah Tattnall was commander 1793-1794, later served in State Legislature, congress, and as Governor of Georgia.
In 1815 were federalized and assigned to Ft. Jackson on Savannah River. In May 1825 honor guard for Lafayette. In 1836 served in Florida during Second Seminole War.
In 1846 offered services in Mexican War, but not used. John Gallie commander 1849 later killed at Ft. McAllister in 1865. John Ward Commander 1855, served as Mayor and later as minister to China.
In 1861 were ordered into service of the Confederacy when Georgia seceded, called to participate
Reorganized as State Militia on May 1, 1872. Celebrated on May1, 1886 the 100th anniversary with a week of gala affairs. General John B. Gordon was in attendance.
On the north side ( inscribed the names of the) Commanders and Presidents of the unit from 1786 through 1986.
Edward Lloyd 1786 1790
Thomas Elfe Jr 1790 1793
Josiah Tattnall Jr 1793 1794
James Robertson 1794 1803
Benjamin Wall 1803 1811
Richard M Stites 1811 1813
Robert Mackay 1813 1815
William T Williams 1816 1824
Peter Blois 1824 1826
Charles M King 1826 1832
Charles Stevens 1832 1849
John B Gallie 1849 1855
John E Ward 1855 1858
Joseph S Cleghorn 1858 1862
John F Wheaton 1862
additonal 30 names thru 1987
On the west side is inscribed:
Chatham History 1886-1986
During the period 1886-89 the Chathams were assigned local state duties. In 1888 purchased a site on Tybee for a club house and artillery practice. In 1889 joined other military units in memorial services for Jefferson Davis, firing a salute in his honor. In 1898 federalized for service in Spanish-American War. They served at Camp Northern in Griffin, GA. and at Camp Thomas in Chikamauga, GA. After nine months sent back to state control.
In 1916 Chathams were called for duty on the Mexican border to stop raids across the border by Pancho Villa. Trained at Camp Harris near Macon, GA. Five months training at El Paso, then released June 1917. Federalized for WW-I, training at Fort McPherson and Camp Wheeler, as part of the 31st Division. In July 1918 were sent to Camp Jackson, S.C. and then to France for combat duty with the Allied Forces.
In 1920 were reorganized as part of the First Field Artillery Regiment they were equipped with horse-drawn 75MM guns. In 1922 were redesignated as the118th Field Artillery Regiment, becoming a component of the 55th Field Artillery Brigade Georgia National Guard.
On September 16, 1940, were activated and sent to Ft. Jackson, S. C. as part of the 30th division. Sent to Camp Blanding, Fla. in 1942 and
Were reunited with 30th Div. for the duration of War. The Chathams participated in all major battles from Normandy to Elbe River when Germany surrendered May 9, 1945. Major battles were St. Lo, Mortain, where Germans were stopped in their thrust to the coast; Domfront, breaching Siegfried Line; Battle of Bulge. Current assignment is HHB 118th FA. BDE, Georgia Army National Guard.
Location. 32° 4.859′ N, 81° 5.432′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on East Bay Street. Touch for map. At Emmet Park, near the Drayton St. ramp. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chatham Artillery's (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Chatham Artillery's (a few steps from this marker); Savannah City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of the University Of Georgia Central Railroad & Bank Bldg. (within shouting distance of this marker); Solomon's Lodge No. 1 F. & A.M Savannah, Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); The Invention of the Cotton Gin (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Savannah Cotton Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding The Chatham Artillery. In 1986, a light gray polished granite shaft with raking sides, slightly
larger at the top than the bottom, was placed in Emmet Park on
East Bay Street, opposite Price, by the Chatham Artillery.
The shaft is slightly larger at the top than the bottom, resting on a seven-foot square dark gray granite base on a ten foot square foundation. A bronze eagle with wings spread is mounted on the pedestal, on a slightly mounded unpolished top. The total height, eleven feet, is related to the Irish Monument which was erected in Emmet Park about the same time, as neither could exceed the "height limitation" placed on the Emmet Park monuments by the Park & Tree Commission. The design was inspired by and is
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, markers shown.
Also see . . . Historical Sketch of the Chatham Artillery During the Confederate Struggle. By Charles Colcock Jones (Submitted on November 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • War of 1812 • War, Spanish-American • War, US Civil • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,035 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.